Saturday, June 09, 2007

Camping, RollerCoasters, and Thunderstorms, Oh My.

After 6 fun-filled days away - we're back to our humble abode. I always forget how much I love my own shower and my own bed until I cant use them for a few days in a row. Its good to be home. Zoe thinks so too. I can tell by the way she is following me around the house and planting herself in my lap if I seem to settle in one place for more than two seconds. If she happens to lose me in the house somewhere, she will howl until I answer and let her know which direction I can be found. Its good to be missed! ....even if its just the cat. HA

SATURDAY: Woke up at 3am - in the Grocery Getter by 3:30 with a very tired but excited Juju Bean, and we hit the road. The van was stuffed to the gills with camping equipment, 3 suitcases, (one for each of us... I habitually overpack for Juju. Never know with a toddler what youre going to need....and I never let Troys socks or underwear touch mine.), and various toys and attention grabbers for Jubilee since we'll be spending so much time on the road.

We caravaned with Holly, Jason, Dylan, Mak and Tyler, (known as The Wick 5 on the Walkie Talkie), and hit the 5:10am ferry with time to spare. Once boarding the ferry we went upstairs to enjoy the view and eat some breakfast. Jubilee stared out the window the whole ride exclaiming that, "The Little Mermaid is in the water!!! Theres Flounder! Theres Sebastian! OOOOH The Sea Witch!" She entertained, (or annoyed) all who sat in the same section of the ferry as us. She was quite excited, and even if I reminded her to use her "quiet" voice, she pretty much just had one volume: LOUD.

We got back on the road and made just a few pit stops on our way to Lake Chelan. Jubilee slept for a couple hours and we hit the campground by 10:30am. Once unpacked, all the kids went swimming, including Jubilee. She only swallowed 1/4 of the pool and choked it back out. I made a mental note to look into swimming lessons as soon as possible. We spent the rest of our time at Lake Chelan taking it easy, swimming in the 100 degree weather, and visiting with family. We left Chelan early monday morning. Destination Idaho!

MONDAY: We woke up early after a night of spotty warm rain and lighting with yummy thunder and hit the road. The Wick 5 and the Grocery Getter caravaned while Mom and Dad Botts got a bit later start. We got to Idaho a few hours ahead of them and we spent the time at Raptor Reef. A small waterslide park located right inside Holly and Jason's hotel! It was sooooooo much fun. I hadnt been on waterslides in YEARS. Dylan and I shot down the double slide on inflatable tubes. It was like being in a cannon. It shot us out into this toillet bowl-like swirly pool and eventually you ended up getting shot down another dark slide. I screamed like a gore queen in a b-flick movie. Soooooooo fun. Raptor Reef also had a whole section just for Juju Beans! Jubilee had a total blast going down her own waterslides, standing under waterfalls, (ok, she didnt much dig that part, but it was really funny to watch), and turning off and on water spouts with the valves she could control.

After everyone was exhausted from hauling our booties up the 74 stairs, (Dylan counted) over and over again to ride the slides, we went back to the room to get cleaned up for lunch. The waterslide park had a connected arcade that included not only the obligatory arcade games, but bowling, laser tag, indoor and outdoor mini golf, go-carts and bumper boats. Holly got this great deal with her room that came with tickets to play on all the fun. We all got to try everything several times. I have to say the go-carts were my favorite. Even tho I got in a bit of trouble from the go-cart boys, I enjoyed running into other people...sorry Dyl! HAHA After watching Jubilee for me while I rode the go-carts once, Mom Botts, (they caught up with us while we were in the water park), decided she needed to give it a go. Holly watched Jubilee for me while we jumped back onto the carts. This time we up graded to the single-rider, double the power carts! Dad, Troy, Mom, Jason and myself chose which cart we wanted based on which we thought was fastest....this was, after all a race to the death. I was in the lead for quite a while, but Troy would NOT have me beating him at anything so I was soon over taken. After a couple laps around Mom I realized she was going reallllllllllly slow. It was like she was on a sunday drive from the old folks home. I kept my attention on Dad and Troy - trying desperately to catch up. Then just when I was about to pass him, Troy spins out on the corner, I hit him - Dad Botts zooms past me once again to win. So I didnt win, but Troy spun out and I got to crash into him which was very satisfying.

We stayed at the waterpark/arcade until closing then went back with Mom and Dad to the campground. The campground was right across the highway from Silverwood Theme Park. Its not as big as Six Flags or Carowinds, but the first thing you see as you drive past it is a HUGE wooden roller coaster. Just seeing that got me all excited for the next day. Well that, and the fact that Silverwood's mascot is Garfield....and well, the thought of actually seeing him the next day got me all tingly.

Actually, the tinglyness may have also been caused by the massive thunderstorm! It started mildly at the waterpark. But by the time we were driving back to the campground, it had gone full force. There were two systems, both shooting lightning into the sky with pounding thunder following right after each double strike. It was AWESOME. I loved every second. Troy, on the other hand, was a big wuss and refused to sleep in the tent for fear of being struck down. And me, being the good wife I am.....just laughed and made fun of him.

TUESDAY: The storms lasted pretty much all night, but by the time the park opened at 11am the storms were gone and left just a little drizzly rain behind. This did not deter me at ALL from my purpose of riding roller coasters and meeting Garfield so I donned my Concho and we all walked over to Silverwood. Our first stop was the merry-go-round. Jubilee lovvvvvvvvved it. Since leaving on Saturday everyone would exclaim, "We're on vacation!" and Jubilee would say, "nooooo...not yet!" In Chelan while in the sun, swimming and having fun we would ask her, "Jubilee, are we on vacation yet?" "Nope! Not yet!" While we were having fun in the water park and playing games in the arcade we asked her again....and she would reply, "Nope! Not yet, I dont see a merry-go-round!" So finally while on the merry-go-round I asked her, "Jubilee, are you on vacation NOW?" She just grinned and nodded her head.

After the merry-go-round we hit a couple other little rides and the Corkscrew. It was Silverwood's only upside-down roller coaster. I loved it! It was a short ride, but DANG fast! Plus it sent you through two loop-da-loops! I loved every second, except being the shorty shrimp I am, the top of my hard plastic shoulder harness settled around my ears and temples. So going so fast around that track, I got jostled side to side while my head and ears slammed into the harness. This hurt, and being the resourceful problem solving genius I am, I held onto my shoulder harness, putting my hands right next to my ears hoping to soften the blows. This only resulted in my face hitting my hands at gravity defying force. It was like I was punching myself in the face so I gave up and let my head bounce around the shoulder harness. Yes, it hurt - but I rode this ride 3 more times.

We spent the rest of the day running all over the park riding everything that was open. Not all the rides were open due to the off and on again rain, but it made for really short lines! Tremors, the HUGE wooden roller coaster was just amazing. It has long steep drops that send you 8 feet underground and make you feel like youre going to be decapitated as you enter the tunnel. WOOHOO! I lost track how many times I rode this one, but I will not forget the ONE time Mom Botts rode it. She had a few choice expletives for us as she staggered off the ride. Dylan convinced her it "wasnt that bad". HAHAHAHA Dad told Mom to be happy...that for about 15 seconds she was wrinkle-free!

Because Jubilee is only 35 inches and you had to be at least 42 to ride even with an adult, she didnt get to ride anything but kiddie rides. Not that I would have taken her on a roller coaster, but Mom Botts did manage to sneak her onto the Scrambler. She giggled and "weeeeeeeeeeeeee'd" her way through it....she is fearless!

Throughout the day I kept my eyes peeled for Garfield. This, afterall, was my destiny. To meet him face to face. Finally when our day was almost over and I had not seen even a hint of orange fur, we asked a park employee, "Where is Garfield???" She said, "Oh I dont think he's coming out today. Its a bit rainy and cats dont like water!" *blinks* WHAT!? I drove across the state, endured HOURS in the Grocery Getter with Troy, and I dont get to meet GARFIELD?! WHAT A CROCK!!!! I was sad...shed a tear....and hit the roller coaster again.

We saved the water rides for last. We made good use of our Conchos and strategically placed them so we wouldnt get wet. That is until Tyler put a quarter in the machine that lets you shoot spouts of water onto the ride from the sidelines! REVENGE WILL BE MINE TYLER! After staying nice and dry all day inside my bright yellow poncho, (nacho-concho for those of you in the know), Tyler had drenched me head to toe in one shot.

At closing time we headed back to the campground and got warm and dry. We ate a little something, Juju got to talk to Jack on the phone, and I got my booty WHOOPED at golf....three times in a row. We dropped exhausted into bed early so we could make the 3 hour drive to Blue Lake the next day.

WEDNESDAY: We drove to Blue Lake only stopping once while Troy got pulled over for speeding. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the slowest man on earth got a ticket for speeding. His first by the way. *snickers*

Blue Lake Resort is very rustic. The lake is calm, it was warm but windy, and there was nothing to do but relax and fish. For the next two days we did lots of both. Jubilee had fun throwing rocks and wading into the water. Very relaxing two days after a fun-filled week.

FRIDAY: We headed home early yesterday morning. We stopped several times for potty breaks and had lunch at Hooters with the Wick 5 in Tacoma. The Hooters Girls loved Juju and gave her a balloon. We also stopped at the Silverdale mall on the way and picked up Jubilee's 3 year portraits. It was a relaxing ride home. I have to say I am so proud of Juju on this trip. There were no melt-downs, no problems, no potty accidents, no incidents of sick of being stuck in a car seat... besides a few whiney moments where a nap was needed, and a couple moments in a naughty corner, she was an absolute joy. Im a lucky mommy. For being so good on the trip, Jubilee got to pick out a prize at the Disney store, (no I didnt spontaneously combust upon entering the store...but I did feel like I sold out a bit). She chose a Little Mermaid lantern and a Little Mermaid car. I was surprised she didnt pick out something Jasmine since Aladdin has been her movie of choice lately, but apparently Ariel is still queen or..err... princess.

I have some pictures from the trip and will post those soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm soooo glad you had a great time! I had a blast just reading your vacation... I can't imagine just being there lol!

Any word on the interview yet?

Staci said...

No word yet, but they assured me they will have an answer for me on Monday.

Anonymous said...

Crossing my fingers you get the answer you want!