Monday, June 11, 2007

Operation Binkie: Night One

Last night was more successful than I imagined. We put Jubilee through her night-time routine with reminders of where her binkies were headed: To help Baby Jaguar. She was fully prepared to go to bed with no binkie because, "Im a big girl!". It all seemed too easy. I grabbed the monitor and sat down to watch TV. After an hour of listening to her play, bounce, sing, and generally have trouble settling down, I went back into her bedroom and reminded her it was bedtime, not playtime. It was at this point I realized she is much too smart for this binkie plan I concocted.

"Mom-mom, I need my binkie."

"Where are your binkies? Do you remember?"

"Yes, with Baby Jaguar. He's still a baby and Im a big girl."

"Yep! So now its time to close your eyes and go to sleep." *edging my way to the door...*

"....waitwaitwaitwaitWAIT WAIT WAAAAAAAAIT!! ......I have an idea."

"Whats your idea?"

*using her hands to emphasize her points* "After Baby Jaguar has all my regular binkies, we go to the store and get NEW binkies!!!"

*wondering why I hadnt come up with a toddler-proof Operation Back-Up Binkie Plan* "Well... um.... It doesnt work that way." ......Lame, I know. I just didnt know what else to say to her.

"How come?"

"Because youre three years old now. You are a big girl and you dont need a binkie anymore. Binkies are for babies and you arent a baby, right?" *hoping this makes sense and I wont be guilted into running to Walmart for new binkies."

"WAIT WAIT WAIT! I have another idea." *holding her hands out in front of her as if stopping me in the name of love* "Baby Jaguar got my binkies, I get Litte Mermaid binkies!!!"

I said, "Juju, I dont think they make Little Mermaid binkies."

"Nooooo, I give Baby Jaguar my binkies, and now The Little Mermaid will give me HER binkies!" Afterall if she is going to share her binkies, the only polite thing for the Little Mermaid to do would be to share her binkies also! This girl REALLY wants her binkie.

"The Little Mermaid is a big girl too. She doesnt have binkies anymore either!"

"Oh. Okay."

After this conversation, it only took her another hour of singing songs from The Little Mermaid and Aladdin to fall asleep. When all was quiet and she was asleep, I went in to find her sleeping sideways in her bed, her babies, little mermaid dolls, a carebear, blankets and her pillow were strewn all over, but.....she was soundly asleep.

This morning she woke up at her normal 6:30am bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. ....No mention of the binkie yet.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Juju is growing up too fast...

sigh...

eaf said...

This is a very clever plan. If it works, I may steal it.

However, I'm also inclined to just wait until she wears out her pacis. Only three left. And she also only gets them at night or when she is sick.

Of course, we haven't even been able to potty train her yet... *sigh*

Chris said...

I've thought of this - I even tried something a while ago, but it didn't work. Perhaps I just didn't stick with it enough.