Wednesday, October 04, 2006

My New Parrot!!

I have a new parrot! She is very colorful, has blue eyes, and loves to talk up a storm! She has a playful personality, is so very friendly, and loves to play with all her toys. She is mucho smart too. In fact, she is so smart that she has taken to repeating everything we say! Even things I dont even realize are a part of my regular vocabulary. My new parrots name??
JUBILEE!

Oh yes friends... the time has come. The time where you stub your toe and a little curse word comes out in the painful aftermath - only to hear said curse word over and over again in joyful child-like tones for the next 10 mins. ACK!

Jubilee has always been a talker. She may have rolled over, crawled and walked late, but she talked early on and never stopped. I may have ignored the signs that my little parrot would be coming in full force soon. Like the time she busied herself in my bedroom and found condoms ....only to decide they were better kept in the microwave. When I pulled them out with surprise she asked, "Whats that!?" I answered truthfully...still in shock at seeing condoms in the microwave, "...condoms". So for the next 20 mins I heard a singsong of cheerful delight, "condomscondomscondomscondoms....CONdoms!!!!!!!"

There have been other words along the way she picked up - temporarily of course. When we camp Mom Botts makes the best breakfast concoction that my sister endearingly named Breakfast Crap. When Mom Botts once decided to stray from the original design of The Crap and got creative to make a different, (and not so good) version, my sister lovingly donned it, Crap the Sequel. So of course The Parrot soon picked up "crap". Once my Mom gave Jubilee an ice cream cone of a different color than she normlly gets at Mema's house, and Jubilee looked at it confused and perplexed... Mom asked her, "What do you got? What is that?", of course expecting Jubilee to say, "ICE CREAM!!!". Instead, The Parrot looked at the green ice cream and said, "Crap!"

So given all her history of picking up questionable words for a two year old's vocabulary, I probably should have been watching what I say. For the most part, I dont swear a whole lot. When Im angry I can rival a truck driver, but thats never around Juju - usually around Troy tho....hmmm. ;-)

Imagine my surprise when The Parrot came bouncing into the living room after her nap, found her new white dress shoes, picked them up with surprise and awe on her face and said, "OH MY GAWD!!" Not only did she just exclaim this, but she said it so crystal clear and with such gumption that she sounded like an old jewish woman gossiping on her stoop! It was then I realized that "oh my god" was a very regular part of my vocabulary and even tho it seems non-eventful when I say it, its quite the different story hearing it come out of a two year old's mouth! So...needless to say, we are now working on saying, "Oh my goodness" and hopefully The Parrot will follow suit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

O juju is so cute lol a tolit issue haha

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!! For once, I am not the villian and the Bad Teacher of Words!

To widen the vocabulary of a 2 year old is amazing. She may grow up to be a truck driver...

You go Juju!!

Anonymous said...

I have to giggle at this because my Rorbear has picked up "What the..." nothing else but "What da" (yes, she's a yooper ey hahaha)...