Saturday, August 05, 2006

"No Bath! ...Shaw-wah!"

Jubilee has decided that taking showers instead of baths is all the rage. When I ask if she is ready to take a bath she says, "No bath! shaw-wah!" The first couple of times I got in with her thinking she would fair better that way. But soon it became obvious that I was not needed. I sit closeby on the toilet seat and watch my baby grow up in front of my eyes as she takes a big girl shower. She gets her hair wet all on her own and even washes up on her own and does a pretty good job. I help with washing and rinsing her hair as well as stand by with a dry washcloth to dab water from her face when she says, "Mommy...eyes please." As soon as she has dry eyes she is back under the stream of water head first giggling. She even gives Dora a shower too. (She has a little Dora the Explorer bath toy.)

I was quite enjoying watching Juju gain a little independence with the whole shower thing ....that is until last night. We got home late from dinner out with family. (Aunt Jan is in town!) We decided a quick shower would be best instead of a long playful bath before bed. Jubilee was doing her routine of standing under the stream of water and asking for her eyes to be dabbed. She turned to go back to the stream of water when her feet slipped from under her and she fell back, all 21 pounds of her, slamming onto the back of her head. It made the most horrible noise. Have you ever dropped a full bottle of shampoo on the bottom of the tub...hearing that loud crash? Thats exactly what it sounded like. It was a horrible sickening noise knowing it was my daughters head. Either it was my mommy-panic, or that icky noise, but I fully expected to see blood and for her to be knocked out. Immediately she was screaming and Troy scooped her up. She was crying so hard with that long pause between screams while she is running out of breath then taking another that tells you its going to be LOUD. I wrapped her in a towel and took her to my bed to inspect her head. Not even a bump that I could see. I gave her some Tylenol in case of a headache, and by the time she realized she was getting medicine...she was fine. I got her dressed and Troy took her to the store with him just to keep her awake....we didnt want her sleeping in case there was a head injury.

After they left, I cried. I thought for sure I had broken her. I let her stand in a shower with no non-slip things on the bottom of the tub. I felt horrible. No Mom of the Year award for me. I cant believe she wasnt more hurt. I think the noise was worse than the fall.

I know these things happen...kids have accidents, they get bumps and bruises all their life. However, I just feel like Jubilee and I should be excused from that. I should get a free "No more bumps, bruises, accidents, or serious illness" pass. I think God should put invisible bubble wrap around Jubilee so we dont have to worry about her well-being. I think we put in a lifetime worth of worry in her birth and first year of life. I deserve it. .....right?

Jubilee is just fine this morning. No bruise, no cuts, not even a little bump from her fall. Thank God! ...hmm... maybe he is using the bubble wrap!

1 comment:

eaf said...

Athena loves a shower too, and she has slipped MANY times... often when we are in there with her. Kids are amazingly resilient. I've only heard one horror story about a concussion, and that was when a girl fell down about six stairs and hit her head on the hardwood floor. Even then, she was in and out of emergency within a couple of hours and was absolutely fine the next day. I mean, she couldn't have gone out for the football team the next day, but not many two-year-old girls do, right?

Yeah, they cry loud. But often that's fear more than pain. :-) You did great! And JuJu is learning to do things all by herself! You're a perfect mommy!