Monday, July 03, 2006

Camping with the Fam

We went camping this weekend at Pleasant Harbor Resort in Brinnon. It sits right on the Hood Canal and its some of the most beautiful camping Ive done in a long time. We had great camping spots that overlooked the water, but with lots of trees around to provide shade in the 80+ degree weather we had all weekend. We also saw some wildlife, including bald eagles who seem to hover around our camping spots for two days. Janet took some great pictures of one that perched in a dead tree right above us. I will post those pictures when she sends them. She takes amazing pictures.

The resort had a pool and Makayla, Blake, Baylee and Dylan had a blast swimming in the pool every chance they got. Weather around here doesnt often get warm enough to swim, and the only pool available in Ghettosville is the ghetto public pool which is all inside. I took Jubilee into the water and she loved it. She wouldnt let me teach her how to go under the water, or even let go of her blue turtle life vest, but she did jump to me from the side of the pool. She would be shivering with her lips turning blue and saying, "More swimmin'!" She is such a campin' girl. She loves being outside and playing in the dirt. Although, if her hands get even the tiniest bit dirty - she will run to me and say, "Dewwty! Wash mah hands?" I think this camping trip Jubilee has gotten the dirtiest Ive ever allowed her to get. I thought it was ok considering she would play with bubbles...spill them all over herself, then we would go swimming in the pool with enough chlorine to kill the most stubborn germ. So between the bubbles and the pool, I figure we got a full blown bath in there.

Poor Mom Botts made this chicken dish on Saturday night. She was very excited about it because it was new and people who gave her the recipe raved about it. Wait...Im getting ahead of myself. First off, she didnt have all the ingredients. So she sent me to go fetch them from whatever store you can find in The Middle of NoWhere, Washington. Let me tell you - there are no grocery stores anywhere near where we were. Janet and I ended up at this "convenience store" in a BIG brick building. It reminded me of a prison building but with neon beer signs in tiny little windows. We walk in and the first thing you see is the old man who runs the place. You can tell he knows that his store is the closest thing to civilization for miles and miles. He barely acknowledged our arrival with glance that seemed to say, "Yep this is my store and I dont give a crap how dirty it is because Im all you've got lady." As you entered, to the left was a tall display of work boots, socks, various car, boat, trailer parts, and gloves. All seemingly from the 1970's and 80's. As you walked toward the back of the store, you apparently had entered the hardware/produce section...that is if you can count tiny sprouting potatoes and rotting bananas as produce. I knew it was also the hardware section by the hip boots, hammers and nails that were displayed conveniently next to the "fruit". Turn another corner and you found the "beauty" section which included nipple shields from the 1970's and nail polish that had long since been dried and stuck to the inside of the bottles. Going down the next isle you found a grand display of machetes, swords and ornate knives. I was amazed at this store. You could tell how long items had been sitting on the shelf by how thick the layer of dust was covering it. The most amazing thing about this store was it had all the ingredients Mom Botts needed to make her special chicken dish.

So back we went to our camp and eventually Mom Botts excused herself to make this tremendous chicken dish she was so excited to present. After a long anticipated wait, she brought the dish out for all to see. She set it down on the table and everyone gathered around. We all just stared at it for a second...speechless...searching for something positive to say. I cant remember if I actually said it out loud, but all I could think was, "OMG..its GREEN!" Not green like a spinich salad....but baby poop green. .....with chunks. Apparently it was dead silent for a little too long because Mom said, "What?!" That was our cue. We better be trying this green chunky chicken surprise. I tasted a bit with my finger and all I could think was, "Holy monkey...how long have those spices been on that store shelf!?!?!?" Then some brave soul, Blakey I think, took the first guinea pig bite, and as we all watched with cautious eyes, he gave us the ok....it tasted better than it looked. I tried some, and so did Dad Botts...in fact, I think he had seconds and thirds. It did indeed taste better than it looked. Good thing too! I think Mom Botts would have cursed us all if we didnt eat it.

She totally redeemed herself the next day by making the yummy traditional Breakfast Crap. (breakfast casserole that has affectionately come to be known as Breakfast Crap).

We love your crap Mom!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the funniest thing I have ever read! I swear you should write for a living....

The old store part had me laugh out loud! And my chicken dish!

Keep it up Staci, these are great!

Anonymous said...

omg lol, hardware next to the "fruit"... now thats a picture that should a been taken! Glad your fam had fun!