Friday, July 07, 2006

Some People Just Make Me Shake My Head

I had an interesting experience at WalMart today. When we, (Aunt Donna, Juju and myself), parked we noticed the car directly in front of us had two pug dogs locked in the car. It was easily 75-78 degrees outside - thats hot for Ghettosville. Upon further inspection, the windows were rolled up! I got out and heard the lady parked next to me was talking into her cell phone. She was clearly talking about the dogs trapped in the hot car. She said, "Im calling the cops about those dogs!" Just then one of the dogs appeared in the back window and was heaving/gasping for air. It was clearly in distress. The lady - Jessica, said that she had just gotten in her car and it was easily 100 degrees inside from being in the store for 10 mins. These dogs were overheating. The police transferred her to animal control who apparently were on their way to free the dogs. In the meantime, the police had instructed Jessica to have someone go in and page the owner of the car. Aunt Donna went inside to do that while I stayed with Jessica until Animal Control showed up.

About 15 mins later the man who owned the car showed up. I was so relieved he was going to open the door for those dogs. Jessica said, "Sir, I just wanted you to know that I had to call animal control to try and help your dogs. I dont know if you realize, but it is too hot for them in the car...." Jessica was very polite...and I was suprised because she was quite pissed off those dogs were in distress. Instead of even letting Jessica finish her sentence, this man instantly became angry. He accused Jessica of harrassing him and said he was filing a complaint against her. As he yelled, and I do mean loud, he was coming toward her jabbing his finger in the air as if that drove his point home. Jessica backed away and said she was scared of him now. I agreed at this point he seemed crazy. I guess if this happened to me, (I would never lock my dogs in a hot car), but IF if it was me and I didnt agree with the person confronting me...I would just say goodbye and leave. This man was ranting and raving as if Jessica had been angrily accusing him of animal cruelty when in fact she was much nicer than I thought she should be. After yelling and ranting at her, he got back into his car....leaving his windows up. I know it had to easily be 100 or 110 degrees in that car. He had a hat and a coat on. After maybe 2 mins, he stepped out of his car again and I said, "Wow, hot in there is it??" He waved his cell phone at us and said, "I called the cops on your ass. You two are in deep shit now! Im sueing you for harrassment! I know vetrenarians!" *blinks* I couldnt help but to laugh. It was obvious he had some mental instability at this point. Jessica however was still a little scared and decided to leave before animal control got there. I had Juju in my arms and there was no way I was standing there alone, so I went inside the store. By the time we came out, he was gone.

I really cant believe somone would lock their dogs up like that...or even act like that when approached by someone in an attitude of concern...not confrontation. Thank God my Mom taught me better manners. Crazy people can have them too you know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I'm glad he didn't do anything to harm any of yous! What a jerk for leaving those poor doggies in the car! Glad you all were proactive :)