Sunday, January 21, 2007

Baby in the Oven/ Sexist Remarks

Not MY "oven"....an actual oven! http://www.local6.com/news/10723021/detail.html

What the hell?! How does someone get to the point of thinking, "I am so pissed off at my boyfriend, I think I'll just put my baby in the oven and turn it on. THAT will show him!" I dont get it. But, I guess no one really would understand if you were in your right mind.

I find myself going back and forth from thinking this woman is obviously disturbed. Even in an intoxicated state the safety of your own child would be something you held in high regard. She obviously has some sort of mental discrepancy,....right? Or is it that she is perfectly sane and just so screwed up that the very basic and natural nurturing that occurs as a mother never kicked in? I dont even know why Im trying to make sense of it. I cant.


On another subject all together, let me tell you about the sexist remarks I made - and I stand by them. Let me explain the situation, and you all can chime in on whether or not you think I was ignorant in doing so.

Today I read an article in the newspaper about a 14 year old boy convicted of molestation of a 6 year old girl. He happened to be in charge of the nursery in a local church. I thought that was ridiculous. First of all, I think 14 is way too young to be in charge of a whole nursery of children. I dont know how many kids were in there, but if I was a parent in need of the church nursery, walked in and saw one 14 year old boy - I would turn around and walk out. Secondly, I do NOT believe teenage boys (or males in general) should be in charge alone of a nursery or day care situation. Why? Not because I dont trust teenage boys or believe they arent capable of taking care of children. In fact my nephew Dylan has watched Jubilee for me numerous times and I trust him with Jubilee's life whole heartedly. I felt it was SUCH a poor choice for whoever made the decision to make this 14 year old in charge of children because statistically sexual predators are predominantly male. In a situation like a church nursery where there are not strict county/state guidelines or policy to not be alone with a child, its too easy for a case of abuse to occur. If a female were a sexual predator its much less likely to happen in a day care scenario. Again, not my opinion - just reality.

When I expressed my surprise of the article and that they chose to have a 14 year old boy in charge, my sister was appalled at my statements. She told me I was being sexist, and I suppose I was - but I stand by it. I'd rather be sexist than sorry. I wouldnt risk Jubilee's well-being and innocence to be politically correct. I would never leave her with a male I didnt know inside out....especially in a day care/nursery situation.

What do you think? Should a parent give equal opportunity no matter what? Leave your comments!

4 comments:

Pangadoo said...

The remark that you made at the table yesterday was very insulting to me and Dylan. What you said was "no male should be in charge of a daycare." That would be like me saying "no female should ever be a school teacher" (re: MaryKay Laternou) in front of Juju. It was sexist. When you say "all males" you are including in that your nephew, husband, father, grandfathers, etc. And coming from you, who is a very impressionable person to my 12 year old son, who I have told since day one that he can do or be anything he dreams (even the owner or worker in a daycare center) it was insulting and heart breaking.

Staci said...

I of course was not including Dylan, (and did say that yesterday while we discussed it), or any other male I know as well as I know Dylan. If Dylan was hurt by it, I soooooooo sorry D!

My point was not meant to be personal, but just to be on the safe side of statistics. The decision to put a 14 year old male alone in charge of children I feel is flighty. I guess the church thought so too because they (or their insurance) settled out of court for about $120k.

Anonymous said...

I'll read the link later but what you said is just sick, I can't imagine sticking my babies in any kind of harm...

If I saw any 14 yo "in charge" of care of children in a "daycare" sort of place, I would question the whole works. My children would not be left there. Did I babysit when I was 14, yes. But it was only for friends families, not a daycare of any sorts. I think the maturity of a teenager depends on the situation too.

Would I be upset at you if I was your sister? Yes. Especially if you said it in front of my child (of any age under 18). That was BAD judgment. I think that would upset me more than the fact that you had an oppinion about it. BUT if thats the way you feel, thats the way you feel. You shouldn't not express how you feel because someone doesn't agree with it, but you shouldn't have in front of your nephew. YOU do have control over what you do with your child and who you want to watch her and care for her.

Sorry if I sound out of line, but maybe an appology is in line for your sister and to Dylan. I know they both mean a lot to you :)

Staci said...

My mouth gets me in trouble more than anything else in my whole life! LOL Of course I will apologize ....I would never want Dylan to feel bad over something I said. But I think he knows me and understood what I was saying. Im sure he would be first to say he wouldnt want some teenage dude he didnt know watching Juju.