Monday, January 15, 2007

Storms of the Century

Ok, I know I havent lived for a century, but thats what it seems like around Western Washington lately. We usually have mild weather here...to the point of frustrating me because I lovvvvvvve the snow. One thing we always have in abudance is rain.

This year is a little different. Starting back in November we've had storm after storm! Windstorms to be exact. I could sit here and type to you all the stats - instead, I'll show you pictures:


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The first picture is of one of our trees resting on the neighbors house. Thank god for insurance! That tree completely totaled the house because it smashed almost every truss in the roof. They are in process of rebuilding now, but what a pain in the heiney! The second picture is of the ginormous tree that totally uprooted in my sisters yard. It barely missed their neighbors cars. WHEW!

Thats how powerful the wind has been around here. When it blows it sounds like a freight train coming through. Windows rattle, loud thuds on the roof, sounds of trees and branches crackling and tearing apart... its like Im expecting to see my mom riding her bike past my window in the sky! (HAHAHA...sorry Mom ....I love you!)

I used to love storms of any kind...and I still love a good thunderstorm. However, once the cedar tree that sits right outside and next to Jubilee's room broke in half and landed inches from her bedroom window, Im not so hot for them anymore. THANK GOD it didnt land on her room because the angle of where the tree sits, it really should have. We also had two other trees fall over in the back yard, but they were smaller and only landed on the carport with minimal damage. So now the sound of the wind crashing through our neighborhood just creates a sense of anxiety and the immediate need to evacuate the house. We usually high-tail it to Troy's parents house where the most potentially damaging tree is a cute little apple tree.

Our yard is still covered in debris and broken branches. We are in the process of seeing if we cant get the trees removed from our yard since they seem to be destroying our neighbor's houses.

In other news, my sister-in-law Sharon had her baby. I got to be there for the delivery and help her through labor. She was amazingly strong. Its her first baby and she was in labor for 21 hours! She pushed like a pro, using all of her contractions, pushing long and hard for 2 hours! I was quite impressed. Camden Matthew was born at 11:29pm healthy as can be!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS AUNTIE!!!!! I wish someone (family) would have a baby already so I could stop doin it (haha just kidding, all done!). Thats amazing that you got to be there, what an honor!

We've had mild weather too. I live in UP MI and we should be burried in snow already. Its mid Jan and we FINALLY have snow on the ground! Went sledding today too, it was so much fun. Ror did NOT like it.. she got a face wash the first downhill slope... she was out for the count after that. Sorry about your trees... that really stinks