Friday, April 21, 2006

The De-evolution of Speech

In my teens and 20s, I found certain things about children and their parents annoying. If I was on the phone with a busy mom who constantly had to put our conversation on hold because she had to scold her child, I was irritated. I evenly scoffed at the wild child in the grocery store and the child who peeked under the bathroom stall while their mommy was using the fluffy next mine. I was guilty of uttering the words, "My child will NEVER do that!"

Now that Ive grown up, (sorta) and have a child of my own, I have much more patience for those little annoyances that children bring. I even realize my child quite possibly could do those things I promised myself she would never do. However, I am finding that I am doing some of those things that I once found annoying - and happily so.

Jubilee has certain words for certain things that sound either nothing like, or somewhat like the correct pronunciation. That does not stop everyone around her from pronouncing it like she does. For example:
Thank You: Dang You
Uncle Jason: Unc
Dora: Do-Dah
Food of any kind: Num-a-num
Booney (the dog): Boo-NAY
Dylan: "D"
And many others that have leaked their way into my vocabulary. .....and not only mine! My mom, Troy's, and even Dylan's. We're all reverting back to toddler hood and talking like Jubilee. Its catchy! Imagine me at the store yesterday and the look on the clerks face when I said, "Dang you" when I left. I know I must do this a lot and I know its annoying, so Im apologizing to you all right now.

I wish I were really techie-like so I could get video of Jubilee on here. We went to the Easter service at our church last Sunday. It was a cantada and Grandma Cookie was in the choir. (Thats Troy's mom.) Jubilee spent the entire hour dancing in the aisle to the music and exclaiming the name of whatever visual scenery was showing up on the giant overhead screen. "bubbles! trees! bunny! man! BOB!" Bob is her special word for Spongebob, and no, he was never in the cantada....but there was some orange and yellow hawaiian flower type things that must have reminded her of Spongebob.

As we left, I was stopped by the man who video taped the choir. He said he didnt get much of the cantada at all and most of his tape was filled with Jubilee dancing. HAHA I guess she stole the show, and thats fine with me!

No comments: