Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Embarrassment Is Coming

I just know its coming. As Jubilee has gotten older, and as her vocabulary has gotten bigger, I can tell that I am going to be one of those parents that are constantly apologizing to strangers in the store. It started out simple.... a little "HI!" to passersby as they shopped for this and that. But, now, its not that simple. If the stranger doesnt respond with a polite salutation back to Jubilee, she will just assume that they didnt hear her and again repeat, "HI!" - this time louder. Occasionally, we do come across a person who is not all that into saying hello to children they dont know, (altho I cant imagine how anyone can refuse such a cute and friendly face). This doesnt deter her however. To Jubilee this just means you need to say HI as many times as you can get it out of your mouth at the highest volume you can until that person is no longer in your eyesight.

She is most pleased when someone stops and actually says, "Hello! How are you?", to which she always replies, "good!" She also loves when they ask how old she is so she can tell them, "two-two motts!" (22 months) I never taught her that. I think she just hears me say it so often when asked. (I am however trying to teach her to hold up two fingers and say, "Two" since that birthday is coming up soon!) This is usually followed up by her introducing me to the stranger. Thank goodness Im not too shy.

The other day we were shopping and as I was trying to decide what kind of yogurt to buy, I heard Jubilee exclaiming, "NO-MAH! NO-MAH!" (Noah - from Noah's Ark) I looked in the direction of where her little finger was pointing and waving excitedly and there stood a man with long white fluffy hair and a long white fluffy beard - JUST like the Little People Noah toy she has at home. I would have just agreed with her and moved on, but the man was looking right at her smiling with a confused look on his face. He looks at me and says, "What is she saying?" Im cornered now....I tell this man my daughter thinks he looks like Noah and probably wonders why he doesnt have two zebras and two lions next to him. He was a good sport and even told her he planned on building an ark if the rain kept up.

I know the time is coming where we will go from pleasant exchanges to outrageous and loud comments that only kids can make. You know the ones Im talking about...the kind that makes the "Kids say the darndest things" category. I can tell that as Jubilee gets older, there will come a time where she will blurt out whats on her enquiring mind in a fanfare fashion and I will want the floor to open and swallow me up. Its ok tho... eventually she will be a teenager and the tables will turn!

No comments: