Friday, May 26, 2006

My Icky Eye: Here We Go Again

Since I last wrote about my icky eye, they were taking me off of the eye drops and oral medication and looking into the possibility of it being Pseudo Tumor Cerebri. I had lots of blood work done to determine that it wasnt connective tissue disorders or anything auto-immune or thyroid.... so we're pretty sure we're dealing with Pseudo Tumor at this point. Its not as scary as it sounds. Mine isnt in my brain, and Im not having any vision changes. I am having some headaches and dizziness, but hard to tell if they are connected.

Since Ive weaned off the drops and meds, my eye looks much worse. Its mostly on the inside toward the corner of my eye, but at times - like in the morning - my whole eye is awful looking. Here is what it looks like now:

So the treatment is oral Prednisone. Im not happy about that. Im considering not even taking it. It has some pretty ugly side effects that Im not sure are worth dealing with to not have a red eyeball.

Side Effects of Prednisone
The most commonly encountered side effects are:
Sodium retention
Increased appetite
Increased fat deposits
Increased acid in your stomach
Increased sweating, especially at night
Increased hair growth
Acne on the face, back, and chest
Bone and muscle problems
Growth problems in children
Eye problems
Increased sugar in the blood
Increased sensitivity to the sun
Delayed wound healing
Decreased ability to fight infection
Thrush (Candida) growth in the mouth


Some of these side effects I am already dealing with as symptoms of PCOS. Things that are VERY annoying and make me one high maintence girl so I dont look like a teenage Wookie.

So what would you do? Would you take the Prednisone? Especially if some of the side effects were things you were already dealing with? Like acne, weight control and hair growth? Let me hear from some of you... especially those who have taken Prednisone. What do you think?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

IMO, those side effects sound pretty rough to me. Especially the weight stuff and bone stuff. There isn't any other solution? The millions of medicines out there? Good luck hun!

Pangadoo said...

tWhy would you take a medication for an eye problem that causes eye problems?

Staci said...

EXACTLY!

Anonymous said...

I have taken it since I was 24....more of my life taking it then not! It has done a great job controlling my lupus. The weight thing....I've been hungry since I was born...and I had a bone density test...and I have really good bones....maybe it makes me moody, and that's why I have to live alone...lol