Thursday, May 11, 2006

Parent Education

Tonight I went to a parents meeting for Juju's Pre-three co-op school. Even tho I thought it was WAY too long, I still had a good time. Its one of those outings that you dread and wish you didnt have to go.....until you get there and you were glad you went.

We talked a lot about "The Two Year Old" and what to expect in the coming months. I learned that Jubilee is very typical in some areas and very not-so-typical in others. Most of the other parents agreed that "NO!" was their kids favorite word right now. Jubilee rarely, if ever, says no. When she does say it, its in reference to something she doesnt want. "No tights, no bath, no cheese" for example. She never says "NO" just to say it - which at this age, is a common thing Im told. People also commented on how social Jubilee is. One mom was trying to describe her to her husband. She said, "Jubilee is almost like a mini adult. She interacts with you and makes you laugh. It isnt like a toddler getting your attention, its like she is engaging you." Im not sure I see the difference, but I love that my little ham is making people talk - in a good way.

Also at the meeting we discussed "positive discipline" which Im not quite sure I buy into it all. Yes, I want my child to be well-adjusted and happy. No, I dont think the only way that can happen is if I never ever use the word "no" and only make a Time-Out a positive fluffy experience. I believe in positive reinforcement I guess. What they call "positive discipline" is not discipline at all....but distractions and only happiness. Well if I only distract Jubilee from running out into the road, (oh look Juju! Something Shiney!), and never discipline her for actually running into road, how is she going to know she shouldnt run into the road? Just seems silly to me.

Mostly tho, there was good information. We also talked about potty training, eating and sleeping patterns and activities to cure boredom. Its also good for me to hear other parents say, "Yes! I get frustrated too!" So then I dont feel like the most impatient mom ever. Other people want to lock themselves in the bathroom and pretend they are constipated just to get a few moments alone too! Its not just me! And we compare our kids behavior so we know its normal. No, two year olds arent supposed to share. Its ok that Jubilee is a bully right now...she will grow out of it. No, she isnt the only one still in a crib or sleeping with a binky. There was lots of good encouragment.

It was good to get away from home a little bit and have conversations with adults. (No, Troy does NOT count...I said ADULTS.) And it was good to know that for the most part, Im doing it right. And the days that I dont get it right, I have tomorrow to try again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Positive disapline? That sounds corny to me... I don't know about you but disapline isn't supposed to be FUN... thats the whole point of it! Sure you don't have to beat your 2 year old with a stick because she is reapeatedly doing something that is potentially dangerous (or just annoying) but again, disapline isn't supposed to be fun... Using your road thing:

2yo-"I'm gonna run into the road"
Mom using PD-"Oh look dc heres a sucker for you!"
2yo-"hmmm every time I do this I'll get a sucker!"

phooey!